Did you know?
Wallace’s first hospital was called the Frances Holland Memorial Hospital. It was ready for occupancy October 1, 1890. It was built by Holy Trinity Episcopal Church. The hospital was damaged by the fire in 1913. After it was rebuilt, it was called the Wallace Hospital. The cost to be a patient was $1.50 a day. The building was closed and demolished in 1973.
Ed Pulaski was signed into the hospital as patient 149. He was being treated for burns after the 1910 fire.
As the 1910 fire approached, the three hospitals in Wallace, including the Wallace Hospital, evacuated all their patients to the Osburn Hospital. Wagons and carriages from “Sutherlands Livery” and “Garrett Transfer and Coal” transported the patients to Osburn.
The Wallace Hospital was approximately 50′ by 100′. In comparison, a professional basketball court is 50′ by 94′. Within that space there was a 3-story, 125 bed hospital. Many cannot believe that the hospital sat in the small location that the park that sits now.