Then and now
How Wallace has changed through the years…
Wallace, Idaho, Then and Now
Sixth Street Bridge in 1911 and 2020
Gilmore’s building, on the right in the 1911 photo, was located in what is now the empty lot at Kelly’s Alley and 6th Street next to the Melodrama. Gilmore’s was a loan office and cigars were also sold there. Joe Piela’s building stands where the Depot Museum is today. The red light district would have been found behind this building. The NP Bar occupied the first floor. They sold Sunset Brewery’s beer, which was brewed locally in Wallace on the south side of town.
6th St. and Kelly’s Alley in 1911
(Click on photo for larger view)
The Union Pacific Depot building is visible in the distance on the left side of the photo. It was gutted by the 1910 fire, but remained standing.
Click on the yellow markers on the map to identify the tour stops.
The Morbeck Foundation, Wallace High School students, and Gravis Tech have teamed up to bring you this tour. Wallace High School students have worked hard to build this tour. Students who have participated in the creation of this tour are Abagail Travis, Chuck Tatman, and Alijah Richardson. Each student has augmented their technology education and historic education through participation in creation of this tour.