Did you know?
The Samuels Hotel
The Samuels Hotel was built by Henry Floyd Samuels in May of 1908. It became one of the busiest hotels in the Silver Valley. This five-star, five-floor hotel sat at the corner of Cedar Street and Seventh Street. It quickly became the largest and finest hotel in all of Idaho, with more than 150 rooms, 25 luxury suites included, and its modern commodities. Guests could get a shave and a haircut at the barber on the ground floor, find something to drink at the Metals Bar (also downstairs), and take the elevator to the upper floors if they didn’t want to walk up the stairs. The hotel was demolished in 1975 and became the Harry Magnuson Park.
Each room in the Samuels had long distance telephone, hot and cold running water, electric light, steam heat, open nickel plumbing, and brass beds.
The ground floor included a coffee shop, restaurant, banquet room, lounge, barber shop, the Metals bar, and beauty shop. It also had French plumbing and a birdcage elevator with an operator.
The Samuels was the original location of the Metals Bar. The current Metals Bar located just down the street from this site is named after the original bar.
The Rossi case
Wallace Mayor Herman Rossi was arrested for murder in 1916 after he shot Clarence “Gabe” Dahlquist in the lobby of the Samuels Hotel.
Check Out the Other Stops On the Tour
Center of the Universe
Northern Pacific Depot
Opera House and Masonic Hall
Union Pacific Depot
Wallace Public School
Click on the yellow markers on the map to identify the tour stops.
The Morbeck Foundation, Wallace High School students, and Gravis Tech have teamed up to bring you this tour. Wallace High School students have worked hard to build this tour. Students who have participated in the creation of this tour are Abagail Travis, Chuck Tatman, and Alijah Richardson. Each student has augmented their technology education and historic education through participation in creation of this tour.