The Opera House

Did you know?

The Opera House

A gold rush to Prichard Creek, a tributary of the North Fork of the Coeur d’Alene River in 1883-84 brought an influx of gold seekers into Shoshone County, this resulted in the founding of Murrayvill now called Murray. As the good gold claims were taken, interest shifted to the South Fork of the Coeur d’Alene River. No major gold deposits were found but rich deposits of Silver – Lead ore were found.

Wallace was founded in 1884 with a population of 14. By 1900, the population had grown to over 1000 when a major fire destroyed nearly all of Wallace. The town started to rebuild, mainly with brick buildings. The Masons residing in the community petitioned for a Masonic Lodge Charter and it was granted on September 10, 1891. Adam Aulbach, a newspaper editor who has moved to Wallace from Murray built a two story brick building at 520 Bank Street which was to house his newspaper, “Wallace Press” and a jewelry store on the first floor with a lodge room for Shoshone 25 on the second floor. Shoshone Lodge No 25 was dedicated on December, 1 1891 with the following charter members

Name

Occupation

Demitted from

Lodge Officer

Adam Aulbach

Editor

Coeur d’Alene 20

 

Alline Case

Mine Operator

Coeur d’Alene 20

Junior Warden

Jesse W. Tabor

Merchant

Coeur d’Alene 20

 

Louis Kosminsky

Merchant

Coeur d’Alene 20

 

Horace G. King

Merchant

Humbird, WI

 

Charles Hussey

Mine Operator

Coeur d’Alene 20

Senior Warden

Henry E. Howes

Merchant

Humbird, WI

 

Robert Neil

Rancher

Coeur d’Alene 20

 

Adelmas B. Manchester

RR Engr.

Rockford, WA

 

Charles W. O’Neil

Lawyer

Coeur d’Alene 20

Worship Master

Thomas A. Helm

Machinist

Coeur d’Alene 20

 

Agnus Sutherland

Liveryman

Coeur d’Alene 20

 

Weldon B. Heyburn

Lawyer

Coeur d’Alene 20

 

M.R. Kellinger

 

 

 

M.J. Shannan

Machinist

 

 

The Aulbach Building (which is still standing) was occupied by Shoshone No. 25 until January 1, 1897 when a new combination Opera House-Masonic Temple was built on Hotel Street.

Mostly Spokane talent was used for its’ erection. It was erected by Huber and Hueller, plastering by John Coleman, heating by Griffiths Heating Co., painting and interior decorating by John McFarlane, scenery painted by Herman Ludcke, stage mechanism under the direction of F. Thomson. Electrical appliances by E.C. Morrow of Wallace. Prusse and Zittel of Spokane were the architects. Total cost was $20,000.

This building had capacity for 660 in the Opera House with a lodge room and banquet room on the second floor. The stage is 58′ x 28′ x 45′. There are seven exits, toilet rooms, galleries and dressing rooms. This building was the site of many community functions and was used for a time by District Court. Unfortunately, it burned on July 1, 1915.

In 1908, Mullan had grown in population and Mullan members petitioned for their own lodge and Mullan No. 50 was chartered in September.

Shoshone  No. 25 then met in the local Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F) hall while the present temple was being constructed at 605 Bank Street. This building with a store front on the first floor and lodge and banquet room on the second floor was dedicated January 30, 1918 and is still in use.

The population and lodge membership in Mullan had decreased to the point that Mullan No 50 again merged into Shoshone 25.

The Wallace Lodge faculties are used by Shoshone No 25 and Order of Eastern Star Chapter No 10. In past years they have also been used by the York Rite Masons, Wallace Assembly of Rainbow Girls and Demolay.

Membership in Shoshone No 25 ranged from miners to mine owners. From teachers to senators with our most famous members being Senator Weldon Heyburn, mine owner Levi Hutton, Amesa Campbell, Dennis Blake, and editor Adam Aulbach. Mason were very instrumental in the development of Wallace Idaho.

Check Out the Other Stops On the Tour

Center of the Universe

Center of the Universe

Grand Theater

Grand Theater

Northern Pacific Depot

Northern Pacific Depot

Opera House and Masonic Hall

Opera House and Masonic Hall

Providence Hospital

Providence Hospital

Samuel's Hotel

Samuel's Hotel

Union Pacific Depot

Union Pacific Depot

Wallace Public School

Wallace Public School

Wallace Hospital

Wallace Hospital

 

Our Community

The Morbeck Foundation, Wallace High School students, and Gravis Tech have teamed up to bring you this tour. Wallace High School students have worked hard to build this tour.  Students who have participated in the creation of this tour are Abagail Travis, Chuck Tatman, and Alijah Richardson. Each student has augmented their technology education and historic education through participation in creation of this tour. 

 

Click on the yellow markers on the map to identify the tour stops. 

Contact us if you would like to provide more information about the tour stops.

14 + 3 =